Controlling soluble salts is one of the largest challenges faced during the surface preparation portion of a coating project. Failure to remove soluble salts can drastically shorten a coating’s lifecycle. On this episode, Ken Rossy, President of HoldTight, joins us to discuss the differences between atmospheric and immersion services, the debate on allowable soluble salt limits, and how additives can help. All of this and more coming up next on The Red Bucket.
- 0:00 - Intro
- 1:36 - Introduction to Kon Rossy
- 3:17 - Introduction to HoldTight Solutions
- 6:34 - Why are Salts Detrimental to Steel?
- 8:38 - “Invisible” Contaminants and How to Find Them
- 13:18 - Cleanliness in Immersion and Atmospheric Service
- 19:51 - The Debate About the Amount of Allowable Soluble Salts
- 25:59 - Using Additives to Remove Salts and Hold Cleanliness
- 35:46 - "The Four Questions" [Non-Technical]
- 39:54 - "Tech Tips"
- 40:21 - Closing Remarks